222. Might might Not be Right



Krishna says that the demonic person thinks, “I have acquired this today and I shall now fulfill this desire of mine. This is mine, and tomorrow I shall have even more (16.13). I have killed this enemy and will slay other enemies too. I am the ruler among men; I am the enjoyer, I am perfect, powerful and happy (16.14). I am wealthy and well-born; Who else is equal to me? I will sacrifice, I will give, I will rejoice.” In this way, demonic persons are deluded by ignorance (16.15). This behaviour is usually seen as 'success'. 

This is the language of ahankaar (sense of doership) which survives on comparison with others. A demonic person is gripped by ahankaar which gets a boost when success is attained in terms of acquiring more wealth when compared with others; when enemies are defeated or when one feels like a ruler after reaching the peak of the ladder.

Comparison drives desires which includes the desire to have more and the desire to have sensual gratification. But there is no end to sensual gratification and Krishna calls this the delusion born of ignorance. Krishna earlier referred to the sword of wisdom to destroy ignorance (4.41) and said that nothing in this world is as sanctifying as wisdom. In due course of time, he who perfected yoga finds it in the self (4.38). The key is shraddha (trust) with saburi (patience).

Whatever may be our current condition, by working towards yoga of wisdom we can attain wisdom in the due course of time. The essence is to observe ourselves when we make comparisons and question these tendencies, like a good student  (4.34), to improve ourselves. Krishna earlier assured that even small steps in the practice of yoga give results (2.40).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1. Start with Ahankaar

57. Centred in the Middle

179. Shifting Goalposts